Here, I would like to share with you on the DIY home monitoring system. I can say, what I did can be considered as a cheap solution.
What am I using for this projects are:
- IP Camera – DLINK DSL-933L (info: http://us.dlink.com/products/home-solutions/day-night-wifi-camera-dcs-933l/)
- Old laptop – Dell Inspiron 510m (info: http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-510m/specs/)
For this project, it does not involve much DIY process. What I did:
- Configure the IP camera to operate using wifi as well as some SMTP setting to allow mail sending in the event of motion detected.
- Install the bundled software on the purchase of the camera, D-ViewCam.
- Install the camera at the desired location and configure the software for the usage.
- Viola. Done. I also configure the setup to record, in case of anything.